Last night I knew a young ewe, Fern, was in labor but went to bed hoping for the best. I woke up at almost midnight and went out to check on her. She was trying to have her lamb, but it seemed stuck with just it’s nose and a foot showing. I went in and got supplies so I could examine her and when I did, I found the other foot and straightened it out. The lamb was big and the ewe was a bit small so I carefully worked it’s head and then it’s shoulders free. Fern pushed and I pulled and we got a big white ewe lamb out. Before going bed, I waited until she cleaned the lamb, both got on thier feet and I checked to make sure milk was flowing and left them to bond.
This morning the lamb looks great and she weighed in at 8.5 pounds. The lamb is 75% Icelandic and the other 25% is from her BFL/Lincoln cross grandmother. She seems to have the dark shadings on her muzzle and face of a longwool breed and is very pretty with a sweet sounding voice. Based on her breeding, we are probably not going to keep her though.